This website is an information portal about the law of Ecocide. We endeavour to make this site as user friendly to as many people as possible. Our website is used by lawyers, students and youths as well as politicians and UN officials.
Wish20 is a global citizen’s initiative to end Ecocide by 2020. It designed to map the growing support of the global community from many different spheres of influence, including individuals, peace organisations and politicians.
Many people around the world are supporting an amendment to the Rome Statute. You can freely share, copy and paste all the documents on this website, as long as it is not for profit (CC BY-NC 3.0). Many lawyers have been involved in the drafting of the law of Ecocide. The draft documents that are on this website have been shared across the world and continue to be used at a governmental, UN and non-governmental level.
Polly Higgins is the award-winning author of Eradicating Ecocide and Earth is our Business. She is a Barrister, the Chairwoman of the Eradicating Ecocide Global Initiative, an Honoris Causa Doctorate of Business School Lausanne, an International lawyer and world renowned Ecocide Law expert.
Polly's work advocating for a Law of Ecocide
In April 2010 she submitted a fully drafted proposal into the United Nations. Ecocide is, claims Polly, the missing 5th Crime Against Peace. All that is required is a amendment to the Rome Statute for it to become an international crime.
Polly's award-winning book Eradicating Ecocide: laws and governance to prevent the destruction of our planet was published in September 2010. Her second book, Earth is our Business was published in May 2012. She was voted one of the World’s Top 10 Visionary Thinkers by the Ecologist and celebrated as The Planet’s Lawyer by the 2010 Change Awards. Other awards include Overall Champion of the 2012 People and Environment Awards. Polly delivered the 2012 50th anniversary Rachel Carson Memorial Lecture.
To read more about Polly, please visit her website: www.pollyhiggins.com. Polly speaks on all aspects of Ecocide law, Earth law and is connected to a wider team of lawyers, parliamentarians and members of the public throughout the world who support her work.
Supporters of a law of Ecocide
- Ela Gandhi (Gandhi’s granddaughter)
- Nnimmo Bassey (Chair of Friends of the Earth International)
- Vandana Shiva (environmental activist)
- Pablo Solón (Bolivia’s former chief climate change negotiator)
- Maude Barlow (former senior advisor on water to the UN General Assembly)
- Michael Mansfield QC (leading human rights lawyer)
- Judge Christopher Weeramantry (former vice- president of International Court of Justice)
- Kennedy Graham (New Zealand parliamentarian)
- Keith Taylor (Member European Parliament)
- Jared Leto (musician/ actor/ activist)
- Francesca de Gasparis (Green Belt Movement)
- Jonathon Porritt (Forum for the Future)
- Daryl Hannah (actress and environmental activist)
- Vijay Mehta (Chair of Uniting for Peace)
- Deepak Chopra (co-founder of the Chopra Center for Wellbeing)
- Patrick Holden (Founder, Sustainable Food Trust)
Visit our supporters page for more information and examples.
Making Ecocide a Crime
“Making Ecocide a Crime” was selected as one of the 20 Solutions for a Sustainable Future by the 6th World Youth Congress 2012, which took place in Rio de Janeiro 4-13th June, just before the UN Conference on Sustainable Development (Rio+20)
Vision and Values
Those who work with Polly support the Eradicating Ecocide Global Initiative’s vision and values, which you can read here.