A range of documents are available for you to read, send out, to use as the basis of research, to include as reference documents, or to build upon for your own written or spoken work. If you are attaching documents to emails, written work or as attachments to letters please always mention the title of the documents you are sending and a brief explanation of the document.
You can freely share, copy and paste all the documents below, as long as it is not for profit (CC BY-NC 3.0).
Sets out why the law of Ecocide is necessary and details the road map for implementation. A copy has been sent to all governments in March 2012. However, if a new president or prime minister is elected in your country please send them a copy. Heads of states’ email and postal addresses are available here.
A one page summary of the Concept Paper sent to all governments in March 2012.
A template letter to be used when sending out the Concept Paper. Please amend if necessary.
A report by The Human Rights Consortium at the School of Advanced Studies, University of London, July 2012. It reports that Ecocide was examined by the UN for inclusion as a Crime Against Peace throughout the 1970s through to the 1990s. A law of Ecocide was removed from what is now called the Rome Statute in 1996, despite many countries objections.
The proposed Directive to the European Union to end Ecocide in Europe as part of the European Citizens Initiative, drafted by Polly Higgins. More information here.
The proposed Ecocide Act drafted by Polly Higgins.
These guidelines would be used when someone is found guilty of Ecocide by a judge to determine the sentence an offender would face.
Details the ten countries with Ecocide Laws in place.
Trial & Sentencing Documents
A range of documents are available for people interested in putting on their own mock Ecocide Trial, as used in the UK Mock Ecocide Trial held in the UK Supreme Court.
A range of template letters are available for you to use and amend as necessary to send to people informing them about the Law of Ecocide.
Other Useful Documents
- Law of Ecocide 2 page summary
- What is Ecocide 6 pages
- Extended FAQs on Law of Ecocide
- Youth Matter: Your Guide to Making Ecocide a Crime: a comprehensive guide on the Law of Ecocide for young people. It covers what the law of Ecocide is, how it will work and gives lots of ideas as to how young people can get involved to help make Ecocide a crime.
- Your Guide to Making Ecocide a Crime: a comprehensive guide on the Law of Ecocide. It covers what the law of Ecocide is, how it will work and gives lots of ideas as to how people can get involved to help make Ecocide a crime.
Some Useful Background Reading
- What happened at Rio +20 Earth Summit and beyond: a report about what happened for Eradicating Ecocide at the Rio +20 Earth Summit.
- Perfect Your Pitch: a flash card which sets out the main points about Ecocide. It is useful for learning the main facts so that you are confident when talking to people about Ecocide. It can also be printed to give to people as flyers.
- Eradicating Ecocide Postcard Side 1 and Side 2: a postcard which can also be printed to give to people as a flyer.
Talks and Presentations
A template presentation and speech about the Law of Ecocide which can be used and amended as required.
Translations of Key Documents
- Écocide Francais
- Co-to-jest-Ekobójstwo- 6-page summary in Polish
- What is Ecocide, traditional Chinese translation
- What is Ecocide, simplified Chinese translation
- What is Ecocide, Laotian translation
- Datganiad Byd Welsh version of Earth Rights
- Cos’è l’ecocidio
- O que é o Ecocídio Isto é o Ecocídio
- Preguntas frecuentes sobre la Ley de ecocidio
- Qué es el Ecocidio.doc
You can read any pages on this website in your language by simply clicking on your choice of language on the top right hand corner.
- Click here for a range of graphics you can use, or better yet, please feel free to create your own.