What you can do
This section is for those of you who are interested in helping to make Ecocide a crime but don’t have much time or don’t know where to start. It sets out twelve basic ways you can make a difference. Click here for useful documents to help you get involved.
- Come and hear an inspirational talk by Polly.
- Come along to a ‘Train the Trainers’ session to learn how you can be a voice for the Earth.
- Keep an eye on the website and the newsletter and keep checking our diary for events
4 Discuss it
- Suggest Ecocide as a discussion topic with your local community group, society or club or run a session to explain what Ecocide is.
- If environmental issues are not normally covered by your local society, suggest it as a topic to increase awareness.
- See our useful documents for help
5 Sign Avaaz
- Sign our Avaaz petition to make Ecocide the fifth Crime Against Peace
- Nominate a business leader to take on the biggest job on Earth and call for an international law of Ecocide.
9 Tell people
- Post a link to the Eradicating Ecocide website on your facebook page or twitter account
- Forward our newsletter to your friends and family
10 Show support
- Print off our Eradicating Ecocide logo, stick it somewhere for people to see or post it on your website
11 Wear it
- Get a Just One World Tar Sands Ecocide T-Shirt and wear it!
- Create your own Ecocide T-shirt or badge
12 Open letter
- Sign our open letter from women to world leaders calling on them to make Ecocide the fifth Crime Against Peace.
This section is for those of you who are interested in helping to make Ecocide a crime and have more time on your hands. Ideally you will have already completed some of The Basics. It sets out nine advanced ways for you to get involved. Click here for useful documents to help you get involved.
- Create a mind map and reach out to your network.
- Write your name in the centre of a blank sheet of paper.
- Around your name write down people you know personally or who a friend or family member knows who are in a position of influence.
- Download a template letter, personalise it and then post or email it to people in your network.
3 Get writing
- If you are an academic or student write a paper on Ecocide, or carry out some research on the topic.
- If you are a journalist, blogger or writer, write an article, blog on Ecocide or include the initative to end Ecocide in your book.
- Check out some of the coverage so far.
4 Use your skills
- Be creative, use your skills to spread the message.
- If you’re handy with a camera make a film or video clip about Ecocide. If music is your thing, write a song.
- If you’re a talented artist make infographics to raise awareness about Eradicating Ecocide
- If you’re part of a drama group put on a play about ecocide.
5 Council and Party Support
- If you’re a constituent download a template speech and get your local council to support making Ecocide a crime.
- If you’re a councillor download a template motion and propose that your council supports making Ecocide a crime.
- Encourage the political parties in your country to pass a motion to support the law of Ecocide at their annual conference.
- Volunteer with the team in London.
- We are actively seeking volunteers to help with research, writing, PR, outreach, events, fundraising and other special projects.
- Special opportunities will be announced on our website.
9 Mock Trial
- Download all the resources you need and run an Ecocide Mock Trial
Become a Voice for the Earth
This section is for those of you are passionate about making Ecocide a crime and can dedicate a lot of time to making this happen. Ideally you will have already completed some of the tasks set out in The Basics and Advanced sections. It sets out how you can become a voice for the Earth. Click here for useful documents to help you get involved.
1 Set up an Action Group
Set up an Eradicating Ecocide branch of your existing club or starting your own action group to mobilise other people and communities. Start your own action group using Google Groups Google Groups and get in touch to let us know you’ve started.
You can download all the materials you need to get started.
You could focus action around one of our projects and get as many people as possible to:
- sign our Avaaz petition to make Ecocide the fifth Crime Against Peace
- send a Love letter to the Earth
- nominate a business leader to take on the biggest job on Earth
- send letters to people in a position of influence
- sign our open letter from women to world leaders calling on them to make Ecocide the fifth Crime Against Peace.
2 Become an Earth Advocate
Get active in the UN process. Start attending UN conferences and speaking out about making Ecocide a crime. Download a useful guide for getting involved in the UN process.
If you are under 30, the United Nations Environment Programme run a youth section of their organisation called TUNZA. By getting involved with TUNZA and in you can make a real impact, attending high profile events and becoming an advocate for making Ecocide a crime.
Just by mentioning the word Ecocide at events can spread the message in a big way, people in the audience may not have heard of it before and may come up to you afterwards to ask more, or may go and look at the website when they get home. So even simply asking a question at an event can be helpful.
Sign and share
Please sign and share our Avaaz petition calling on our world leaders to make Ecocide an International Crime Against Peace.
Please sign and share our open letter from women calling on our world leaders to make Ecocide an International Crime Against Peace.
Please sign and share a Love Letter to the Earth calling on leaders of the world to create laws to protect it.
Guides to download
Vote for an Ecocide Directive in Europe (this is a separate initiative run by a team of volunteers)